Driekoppen Game Farm

The Town

In 1863 one J. H. Krynauw bought the farm, aptly named "Krynauwslust" located where the town of Vrede was later proclaimed in 1879. The town celebrated its centenary in 1979.

The town’s Afrikaans name "Vrede" can be directly translated to "Peace" in English. This name resulted, due to a bitter feud that raged between the early settlers of the area where the town initially should have been placed. A compromise was reached and peace among the early citizens was achieved, hence the name, "Vrede".

The names Leeukop (Lionshead), Tygerspoort (Tiger's Passage), Kwaggaspoort (Zebra's Passage) still exist today. Unfortunately the folk of the earlier years were not concious of the ecology and now only names of the game that roamed the area remain. The last known free roaming lion in the area was shot in 1865. In 1858 a sole hippo was spotted in the wetlands surrounding the district of Memel, the neighbouring town.

In the early days of Vrede, various game species still had the habit of migrating to the warmer climate of Natal in May, returning in October after months of winter grazing in a warmer climate. This is still the case with a number of surviving deer that migrate yearly and can be spotted in the area until May. Unfortunately the practice of hunting for profit took the early population by storm and in 1870, a reported one hundred and eleven thousand four hundred and fourty six hides, all originating from the Vrede district, were exported from Durban harbour. The number of game dwindled and by 1858 there were reportedly only forty two Eland in the area.

Between 1899 and 1902 many famous battles were fought in and around Vrede and Vrede was also the setting of the stand of the Great Rebellion of 1914 when citizens were called to arms in aid of Britain in the First World War against Germany.